Man Accused of Sex Assault at Rochester Hotel Skips Trial
Rochester, MN (KROC-AM News) - An arrest warrant has been issued for a homeless man after he failed to show up for his trial in Olmsted County Court on charges stemming from an attack on a woman at a Rochester hotel in August.
40-year-old Deonte Jenkins faces first-degree aggravated robbery, second-degree criminal sexual conduct, and first-degree burglary charges for allegedly forcing the 34-year-old victim back into her hotel room after he confronted her in a stairwell and indicated he had a gun. The woman told police she was held against her will in the hotel room for more than nine hours from the afternoon of August 27th into the early morning hours of August 28th.
During that time, Jenkins allegedly sexually assaulted and robbed the woman. She told investigators he had threatened her by saying he had friends in the area who would kill her and her family if she contacted police. Court records indicate Jenkins was later located and arrested in downtown Rochester. He told police he had recently moved to the city from Atlanta.
His trial was scheduled to begin on Monday and the warrant for his arrest was issued on Tuesday. He was released from the Olmsted County Jail in October after he posted a $20,000 bond, which was forfeited after he failed to appear for a pre-trial hearing last month.