Rochester Could See First Frost of Season Friday Morning
Well, the calendar now says it's October so it shouldn't be a surprise that we might see a little frost on the pumpkin Friday morning.
The National Weather Service in the La Crosse has issued a Frost Advisory...which is in effect from 1 AM to 8 AM CDT Friday.
* Temperatures...around 30 to the lower 30s.
* Timing...1 AM to 8 AM Friday morning.
* Impacts...Frost and freeze conditions will kill crops, other
sensitive vegetation and possibly damage unprotected outdoor plumbing.
Of course, the NWS reminds us that a Frost Advisory means that frost is likely. You'll want to cover or move sensitive plants indoors. (As an aside, seeing as there's now a Frost Advisory for the Med City for Friday morning, will the NWS issue a Frost Warning-- like a tornado or severe thunderstorm warning-- tomorrow morning if there actually IS frost?)
Like I said, seeing as it's now October, I guess the fact that there's the possibility of frost in the forecast shouldn't really be a surprise, but it got me wondering about when our first frost usually occurs here in our neck of the woods.
According to the National Gardening Association, a group concerned with these kinds of things, there's a 50 percent chance of frost on the pumpkin here in Rah-Rah-Rochester by October 2nd each year. The earliest frost date, with only a 10 percent chance, is September 19th. And the latest frost date each year, with a 90 percent chance of frost occurring, is on October 15th. So, yeah, it looks like things are pretty much on-time this year.
And speaking of the impending winter weather, keep scrolling to check out this list of supplies they say (though they never really say who 'they' are, do they?) you might want to grab BEFORE the snow flies here in Minnesota.