Here’s 5 Uncommon Ways To Remove Snow
With the forecast predicting 1-3 inches of snow tonight into tomorrow I took a trip down the rabbit hole that was the internet to find other non-shoveling/snow blowing ways at removing Satan's soot* from your driveway/sidewalk.
1. Use a Shop-Vac - No you won't be sucking up the snow, because then you'd have to empty it out and that might be heavy. Take the hose and put it on the blowing end of the Shop-Vac, plug it into an extension cord and go to town on that driveway or sidewalk.
2. Use a propane torch - I got one of these for my birthday two years ago for burning out brush along the lakeshore in the spring and fall [I made sure it was legit and got a permit from the local fire department]. Light it up, and melt that stuff away. Of course, if it's going to be cold, you might get ice build-up from the melted snow. Maybe go with this method if you know it's not going to be below freezing for a long period of time.
3. Use salt - Stop by a big box retailer, or grocery store and buy a bag of water softener salt, pour it into your walk behind fertilizer spreader, and walk your driveway. According to snowplowtalk.com "adding salt to frozen snow lowers the temperature at which ice melts and is an effective way to melt snow and prevent ice from forming."
4. Layout some tarps - This method is more for your walkways or car that sits outside. Simply lay some tarps down on the walkway or vehicle, and put some rocks or cinder blocks on the edges of the tarps and after it snows simply pull away the tarps. If you use a tarp on your car, put a blanket down on your vehicle first so you don't scratch the paint.
5. Have your dog pee on it - OK this really isn't a great method as there would be dog pee everywhere, and it might take a long time, but it definitely would keep people from knocking on your door asking you if you've been saved yet.
*I enjoy the snow, as I like to snowmobile, so it doesn't bug me, but a good friend of mine called snow Satan's soot once and I fell out of my chair laughing at the term.